Quick Start Guide
What is PiMAME?PiMAME is the gaming OS for the Raspberry Pi. PiMAME runs MAME, Neo Geo, and PlayStation games out of the box, and is constantly being updated with new emulators and tools. Included is a suite of software designed to reduce the complexity and time needed to setup a fully working system. An updater is included with the distribution. PiMAME is based off of Raspbian, the official Linux distribution for the Raspberry Pi.
Successful Boot up
Upon a successful bootup, you will be automatically logged in and the PiMAME main menu will appear on screen (Figure 1). From here you can access multiple emulators and utilities for the Raspberry Pi.
Use the up and down arrows to navigate and press “Enter” or “c” to select an option.
All ROMs for the systems should be stored in the /home/pi/roms/ directory. PiMAME has a built in FTP server and web uploader that makes adding games easy.
The easiest way is by using the web frontend of PiMAME.
- Go to the IP Address of your Raspberry Pi in a browser (Figure 2) and you will be greeted with the PiMAME web page.
- Click on the “Rom Uploader” button.
- Enter in your username and password. (Default: pi / raspberry) (Figure 3)
- You will now see your home folder. Click on Roms. (Figure 4)
- Click on choose file and select the item you wish to upload.
- Click upload.
- After a few seconds your rom should be uploaded.
Another way is to use an FTP Client like FileZilla to upload files to PiMAME. This is recommended for large files exceeding 50MB.
- Start your FTP Client
- Hostname / IP Address should be your Raspberry Pi’s IP address.
- Username and Password are: pi and raspberry
- Click connect. If the connection is successful you should see a listing of files.
- Double click the roms/ folder to enter it.
- Drag and drop the files you wish to store into the directory.
PiMAME comes with a built in Updater script so you can make sure you are running the latest version.
- On the Main Menu screen, select Exit (Return To Command Line)
- On the command line. Type: cd pimame_installer/ then press enter.
- Now type: ./update.sh
- When the script has completed, it is time to restart.
- Type: sudo reboot and press enter.
- You are now running the latest version of PiMAME.
PiMAME on GitHub
Preloaded SD Cards
- Kodak Essential KP1000 USB Power Pack
- HDMI 3-In 1-Out HDMI Auto Switch with 1.5 ft. Cable
- Logitech Keyboard Controller for Logitech Revue and Google TV
- FAVI Entertainment Wireless Keyboard (Built-in TouchPad/Laser Pointer) - Black
- DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet
- SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card